Feature on http://www.femalefirst.co.uk by Lucy Cummins
Wherever you have been on holiday, a Caribbean island or perhaps a week spent at home visiting friends and family. One thing is always true – You come back down to reality with a big thud!
This can be quite an ordeal for many, in terms of having to deal with a mountain of ‘stuff’ that has built up over the time that you’ve been out of action.
Dr David Edwards, a GP from Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, shares his top tips to get you through these so-called “post-holiday blues”.
1. Unpack immediately – There’s nothing more irritating than tripping over suitcases for the next fortnight
2. Bring a little bit of your holiday home – Redecorate, or paint just one wall and your sunny mood will continue.
3. Get out more – You may have also done a lot more exercise on holiday such as walking and swimming. Keep this up as exercise has been shown to greatly improve both physical and mental wellbeing.
4. Eat well – If you’ve been eating fresh fish, fruit and vegetables on holiday, keep up the good habits on your return.
5. Get out of the rut – Promise yourself you will try one new thing every day – whether it’s lemon verbena tea, a different route to work, or just keeping the television switched off.
6. Try natural remedies – If all else fails and your post-holiday blues is starting to have a negative effect on your relationships at home and at work there are natural mood-boosting herbal remedies that can help. St John’s Wort is commonly called the “Sunshine Herb” in as much as it can help lift low mood. However, St John’s Wort does not suit everyone as it can interact with some prescription and over-the-counter medications such as the contraceptive pill. If you are unable to take St John’s Wort then another herbal remedy to try is Rhodiola rosea which has a unique dual action of reducing stress levels whilst increasing energy levels allowing you to live life to the full. Make sure that you choose a regulated brand which has a THR logo on the pack as it is a sign of quality and safety.
KarmaMood St John’s Wort and Vitano Rhodiola tablets are available at Holland & Barrett, and other leading pharmacy and health food stores nationwide, as well as online at http://www.schwabepharma.co.uk.
Read full article here